True to its name, the iconic red velvet cake is utterly delicious, velvety, soft, moist, buttery and what not. Although it is a chocolate cake baked with red food coloring, however, it tastes less chocolaty and more like a Vanilla cake flavored with buttermilk smothered in a fluffy cream cheese frosting. This enchanting and mouthwatering cake is not only one of the yummiest desserts to please your taste buds with but also a perfect dessert to sweeten your special occasions with. For instance, if you are looking for a scrumptious birthday gift for brother or sister or friends then, a red velvet cake will never disappoint you. But, remember a birthday cake becomes more special when it is baked. So, learn here how to bake a yummylicious red velvet cake like a pro with the following recipe:
To bake a buttery and delicious red velvet cake, all you will require are these quality ingredients.
For the cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
1 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup butter
1/2 all purpose flour
Now, once you have all the above-mentioned ingredients ready at your fingertips, you can start the baking process with the help of the following steps:
- First of all, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, grease the bottoms and sides of three 8- or 9-inch round pans.
- Now, take a large bowl and beat sugar until it becomes light. Add eggs to it and beat again.
- Then, make a paste of cocoa, flour, and red food coloring. In a separate bowl mix oil, Vanilla extract, and salt. Now, add this mixture to the mixture of eggs and sugar and beat well.
- Now, add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Mix baking soda and vinegar into the cake batter and then, pour the batter into the pans.
- Bake it for 25-30 minutes until the cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean. Now, let the cake cool for about 10 minutes before taking out of the pans. It is advised to cool the cake completely before you start the frosting.
- Now, for the icing, cook 5 tablespoons of flour mixed with milk over low heat till it becomes thick. Then, let it cool completely.
- Beat 1 cup of sugar, butter and vanilla extract until fluffy. Then, add the cool flour mixture and beat until it acquires a good spreading consistency.
- Now, frost the cake layers and your red velvet cake will be ready.
With these simple steps and the right measurement of ingredients, you can bake an extraordinary and sumptuous red velvet cake on your loved one’s birthday. So, now surprise your dear ones by baking a delicious red velvet cake all by yourself.